Simply put, great acting is great acting— whether it happens on a Broadway stage, the set of a feature film or daytime soap, or in a commercial voice-over booth. But crafting your performance for such varied venues is like knowing how to speak different languages—the rules are totally different. Your knowledge, skills and techniques have to be different as well.
NYCDA offers a choice of comprehensive programs to help launch your career. If a life in TV and film is your dream, there’s no better training than our Film and Television Performance Program. And if you want to broaden your career opportunities to include the theater—and become a “triple threat” who’s equally at home on stage and on camera— our Theater, Film and Television Performance Program is perfect for you. Since you don’t have to choose a path until the end of the Platform Year, you’ll have ample time to explore the differences, start discovering who you are as an actor, and feel confident in the direction you take.
Here’s what you will learn:
- How to act honestly and believably through a rigorous curriculum in acting, voice, improvisation, scene study, movement and related studies
- How to expand your basic technique to transcend the limits of the stage, so you master the naturalistic and technical aspects of the performance elements of film and TV
- A step-by-step approach to the technique and discipline of the camera actor in all media, including film, episodic TV, daytime drama, sitcoms, commercials and voice-overs
- The short-term and long-term realities of your chosen career, including auditioning in a professional environment, the business of the business and goal-setting
- The skills, discipline and patience necessary to meet the challenges of the industry and position you for professional success