Does NYCDA provide housing?

Yes. We provide housing for students in the Professional Training Programs and the four-week Summer Program at our student residence in Brooklyn Heights. Early applications are recommended as space is limited.

Do you accept international students?

Yes. NYCDA is eligible to certify enrollment for F-1 visas for those who qualify. All students must be fluent and literate in English.

Is Financial Aid available?

Yes, we offer Federal Financial Aid to qualifying students in the Professional Training Programs, and other financing options are available for both Professional Training Programs and summer program. NYCDA also grants up to $2,000,000 per year in talent and need-based scholarships for the Two-Year Conservatory and Summer Program. Financial Aid is not available for individual classes.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Over the Internet or telephone. Visit www.fafsa.ed.gov, or call 800.4FED.AID to have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid sent to you. You may also contact us at 212.645.0030 x4090.

Do you offer scholarships for the Professional Training Programs?

We do. Scholarship auditions are held in New York on a regular basis. The Admission team also travels the country and holds auditions in a city near you. Please check out our upcoming dates and locations.

Do I have to audition to be accepted?

Yes, an audition is required for acceptance into the Conservatory. Placement is by interview for the Summer Program. An audition is required for summer scholarship consideration and entrance into the performance level of the program.

Do I have to memorize the monologues?

For the admittance audition, monologues should be memorized and performance ready.

What if I have no experience with auditioning?

We’re looking for instincts and ability, not experience. However you must prepare by memorizing the two contrasting monologues previously discussed in this section. If you have questions, contact one of our admission counselors at 212.645.0030, ext 4080.

What are the requirements to get into the Professional Training Programs?
  • You must be a high school graduate or hold a GED
  • Fluent and literate in English
  • A successful audition
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Academic transcripts

Can I transfer into Second year?

To be eligible as a Theater or a Film and Television Year transfer student you must meet the requirements listed above plus provide proof of credits from the other institutions that are equivalent to our first year of training.

How many people are in a class?

Classes have between 8 and 18 students.

What kind of a degree do I earn at the end of the Professional Training Programs?

NYCDA offers an Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree program in Film and Television Performance. All newly entering students in Fall 2013 for the Film and Television Performance Program (2-Year) will be on a degree track for an AOS degree. The degree program is listed in the New York State Inventory of Registered Programs.
Students who start in Fall 2013 and in 2014, and who opt for the Film, Television, and Theater Program (3-Year), will NOT be on a degree track, but on the current certificate track.

Is NYCDA Accredited?

Yes, NYCDA is an institutionally accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and is chartered as a college by the New York State Board of Regents.

Will I get college credits? And if so, who will accept them?

Every school has its own transfer credit policy. We therefore recommend to those wishing to pursue further education after NYCDA to contact the school of interest for an understanding of its transfer credit policy. More than 150 other colleges, universities, and theatre schools are listed on the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) website.

If I decide I want a degree in theater, are my two years of credits wasted?

No. While an NYCDA education prepares you for the realities of film and television, the core of all training is about the acting itself. So if you decide you want to pursue a Theater degree after graduation, you can leverage our articulation agreements with several institutions. The Theater Program of the Department of Performing Arts at Adelphi University in Garden City, New York, admits our Professional Training Program graduates into their BFA Program as juniors. The School of Theater Arts and Dance at the University of Northern Colorado at Greeley also accepts NYCDA grads into their BA Program as juniors. The credit-transfer agreement that NYCDA has with the University of West Florida additionally offers NYCDA graduates the opportunity to pursue a BA in Theatre with specialization in Acting.

Does your school help me find an agent, or send me out on auditions?

We are known for our ability to intensely and thoroughly prepare actors for the realities of the marketplace. In the Film & Television Year, there is heavy exposure to industry guests, directors, managers, agents, and casting directors via internships and regular seminars. However, we are not a placement agency nor do we guarantee employment.

Can I work in the industry while I study with you?

Yes. However, in the Professional Training Programs, classes take priority over any auditions or bookings. We ask that students only audition around their scheduled classes, and not audition for any project that would make them miss a class. There will be plenty of time for that once you graduate.

Is there anybody famous that went to your school?

Matthew Fox, Lauren Graham, Shelley Hennig, Josh Sussman, David Del Rio, Thomas Calabro, Kim Griest, Justin Guarini, Scott Holroyd, Elyse Neal, and Kevin Kilner to name a few, plus countless film, TV, commercial and voice over artists.

Do we have Winter/Spring break? What is the last day of class?

The year is divided into two semesters. Fall term runs from late August to winter break, usually just before Christmas. Spring term starts in January and ends in May. Spring break is usually around the end of March. The Summer term begins in May and ends in August.

Do I need experience to take classes?

No, just talent and drive. Our Professional Training Programs require no previous experience or training. Acceptance is based on your audition, transcripts, application, and references attesting to your desire and commitment to a career in acting.

Do you have acting classes for children?

We don't offer any classes for students younger than 16. In the summer, we do offer high school juniors and seniors a four-week Program designed to give them a taste of what this business is all about, and whether they have the talent and desire to pursue a career. In all other programs, students must be at least 17 years old.

Are students eligible for VA benefits?

Yes. NYCDA’s programs of education are approved by the State of New York Division of Veterans’ Affairs for the training of veterans and other eligible persons.  Students can contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for all VA education benefits questions.